Site Search


Nail Biter at St.Clements!!!!

On the last day of November, our U14 Lions boys took to the court to face yet another strong opponent from Cork. It was Fr.Matthews from Douglas that would provide the opposition for what was to be an absolute nail biting experience for all present in St.Clements College Gym.

Our Lions boys were seeking revenge for a one basket overtime defeat to Fr.Matthews at the start of the season. With this in the back of the player’s minds, they came out of the blocks very strong and took an early lead. The reliable combination of Joey Byrne and Nathan Moore proved unstoppable yet again. Denis Kolomlyets played excellent at both ends of the floor. Ronan Cregan found the going tough as he faced one of the tallest players in the league. He managed to create good space for Nathan who penetrated to the basket for several scores. Fr.Matthews were never going to lie down and rallied back strongly and led 23 to 15 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter brought Andrew McMahon, Dylan Sutton, Iarlaith Cosgrove, Ben Garry and Josh Mulhare into the game. Dylan and Andrew combined brilliantly for scores during this quarter. They went basket for basket with the Fr.Matthews boys. Ben, Josh and Iarlaith played very well at both ends of the floor. Andrew sank four crucial free throws and Dylan finished the quarter with a lovely drive to the hoop. Fr. Matthews maintained their lead with a score of 40 to 30 in their favour at the end of the second quarter.

The second half began with Nathan, Andrew, Dylan, Joey and Josh Callahan on the court. Josh played tenacious defence as usual. However, the Lions boys seemed tired and appeared to be going through the motions on court. This led to a number of silly turnovers and missed lay-ups. The Lions boys only scored six points in this quarter. With 1min 30sec left in this quarter, the Lions coach called a time-out.  He had some very stern words with the players and expected to see some improvements on the floor.  The boys improved their performance and chipped into the Fr.Matthews lead. However, Fr. Matthews still lead 50 to 36 at the end of the third quarter.

The Lions coach had some further stern words with his players before the fourth quarter tipped off. And boy……… did they respond and started to play to their potential. The boys attacked Fr.Matthews defence aggressively and mounted non-stop full court pressure. This resulted in Fr.Matthews lead slowly but surely disappearing. With four minutes left on the clock, the lead was down to ten points. With two minutes left, the lead was down to four points. With less than 20 seconds left, Nathan Moore drove strongly to the hoop and scored. Lions were leading by 2 points!!! A foul by Lions put one of the Fr.Matthews boys on the free throw line. He nailed both pressure shots…… Tied ball game   62 -62!!!! With six seconds left on the clock, the Lions coach called a time-out. He drew up a play to win the game. Andrew McMahon inbounded the ball to Nathan Moore. Nathan dribbled strongly to the basket with two defenders closing in fast. A hard foul was committed which put Nathan on the free throw line to win the game………………. With four seconds on the clock, Nathan calmly sank both free throws. Fr.Matthews had no time-outs left, they inbounded the ball. Andrew stole it……. Game over…………  What a comeback and victory for our boys!!!

Final score Limerick Lions 64. Fr.Matthews 62. Well done to all eleven players who played today.